Before Intravenous Anesthesia Sedation
Home Instructions Before Oral Surgery
Please follow these instructions to prepare for oral surgery with IV Sedation.
- DO NOT EAT OR DRINK ANYTHING, including water, for 6 HOURS before your appointment.
- Take medications we have prescribed (one Valium and four Amoxicillin OR four Cleocin-for a total of five pills) 1 HOUR before your appointment with the smallest amount of water possible. This is the only liquid you are allowed before surgery.
- No smoking for at least 12 hours before surgery. Ideally, cut down or stop smoking as soon as possible prior to the day of surgery.
- A RESPONSIBLE ADULT (legal guardian, if under the age of 18) must remain with you to the office, remain at the office throughout the procedure, and drive you home from surgery. Post operative instructions will be given to your driver. Your entire stay at the office should be 1 1/2 hours or less.
- The patient should not drive a vehicle or operate any machinery for 24 hours following anesthesia.
- Brush your teeth the morning of your appointment. Good oral hygiene helps to prevent infection.
- Please wear loose fitting clothing with sleeves which can be rolled up past the elbow, and low-heeled shoes.
- DO NOT WEAR contact lenses, tongue or lip rings, lipstick, mascara, finger polish or other cosmetics to your surgery appointment.
- If you have an illness such as a cold, sore throat, stomach or upset bowels, please notify the office.
- If you take routine oral medications, please check with Dr. Labart prior to your surgical date for instructions.
- Due to HIPPA privacy regulations and office policy, the use of portable electronic devices ARE NOT allowed in the surgery suite or recovery areas, including cell phone calls, texting, internet use and/or video or audio recording of any kind.